There is something about motorcycling that feels like freedom. I won’t be able to predict the weather, the little discoveries along the way, or the mechanical dependability of my gear. So planning feels more like being prepared for options. Living in the world of possibilities… not expectations.
– Keep it simple
– Think like a backpacker
– Leave contingency for weather, side-trip whims, and mechanical
Planning Stats (~7,000 miles):
– 7 weeks (including 2 weeks with dad)
– 3,218 miles / 63 hours riding time (Whitesburg to Heber)
– 1,600 miles / 24 hours Optional San Francisco
– 2,000 to 3,200 miles / 28 to 63 hours riding time (not planned in detail)
A weekend trip to Tennessee allowed my to refine the gear list and method for packing and organization.